Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Lately, I feel more comfortable to wear girly outfit. Haha! Maybe because I gain weight ;p and my jeans a little too small for me. I have some mini dress, but I was thinking I can't always wear dress to work, I need skirt. Yes! I want skirt for sure, and wear it with plain shirt or something.


So, few weeks ago I've been looking for skirt sewing tutorial for while and found this two tutorials, DIY Pleated Flare Skirt and Easy DIY Elastic Waist A-Line Skirt with Pockets. Both are nice! I check at home, and Mum only have denim fabric. I want the pleated look with pocket on my skirt and I to use invisible zipper, instead elastic band. So, I decide why not combine it.

So, here's the supplies :
  • 1 yard Denim Fabric
  • Invisible zipper
  • Sewing supplies (thread, scissor, straight pin, marker)
  • Sewing machine
  • Overlock machine (additional)
I'm so lucky, because Mum used to sewing long time ago, so we have old sewing machine and overlock machine ^^. Back to business, I follow the instructions to make Pleated Flare skirt, on joy and cheryl blog. But I cut in half the main piece for skirt, because I want to insert the pocket. So, there are four main part for this skirt.



  1. Two pieces of main skirt
  2. Two pieces of  waist band, in that picture above, I already sew those two part of the waist band.
  3. Two pieces of the pocket part (i forgot to take picture of this part)
Ow, before cutting the fabric, you should measure it correctly. Here's the guidance how you should measure your fabric.


The first thing to do after cutting is sew the pocket pieces with the main pieces of the skirt. You can follow the tutorial in here. Sew the pocket piece with the main skirt piece, just like on tutorial from extrapetite.com , repeat for the other piece. After that, I did overlock the every part of it.



 Now, it's time to create the pleats. Again, you have to measure it correctly so it will look nice. Here's the guidance to measure the pleats. Once you know the measurement, you can start measure the fabric, pin it and then sew to secure it.
  




 So, here is how it look when you done with the pleats.



The next step is gather the skirt piece with the waist band.




Next, putting the zipper. This is the harder part XD I never sew a invisible zipper before, so this is like trial. First, pin the zipper in different direction (I don't know how to explain it, but you can see it in the picture ;p), then sew it each part.



Since this is my first time, there must be mistake. I did try to fix it, but still wrong, haha! Look, it didn't match, lol. I don't know whether I sew the zipper incorrectly or I cut the waist band in wrong measurement, hehe. But who cares, noone will notice. So, I continue it and sew the waist part (again! forgot the picture ;p).

This is the last step, do the blind stitch for the bottom part of the skirt and you are done! For more details, just check the tutorial here. Sorry for my bad English, I'm trying my best to explain it ;) Good luck!

Love, Ninu







0 comments:

Post a Comment