Friday, June 20, 2014

Since I order my Manduka mat, I've been thinking to make my own yoga mat bag ^^ I don't really like my old yoga mat bag that got from my old mat. It have a hole on the top and use small strap, it hurts when you have heavy mat XD. So, I google it, trying to find inspirations and nice free pattern. So finally, I decide to use free pattern from Nigella Yoga Bag. You can just follow the instructions on the that pattern. But I decide to make my own version and use the pattern as guidance. 

So here's the supplies : 
  1. Denim & Inner fabrics
  2. Old Zipper from unused bag (I decide to use zipper instead let the upper part open)
  3. Unused leather straps 
First thing to do it cut the fabrics. I use denim (Yeah! The same fabric as my pleated skirt) for the outside and the grey fabric for the inner part. For the measurement, I just follow the pattern and I add the top circles part. I didn't cut the denim fabric for the outside pockets, because I was thinking to use other fabric to give more pattern, but I still cant decide which fabric I want to use for the pocket. So, I skipped the outside pockets part and add a small pocket for my phone inside (with the grey fabric).



Let's start sewing! The first thing to do is putting the zipper. It's a little bit hard for me, because I usually use invincible zipper and this one it's not that kind of zipper. First, I stitch the zipper to the denim and the stitch again with the grey fabric on the top of the zipper. 


So, here's the result for one side of the zipper. I'm sorry becuase I'm not good explaining it in English ;p but I hope you understand what I mean. 

Next, before do the other side of the zipper, I need to stitch the inside pocket. I just realize that I cut the pocket part too small XD so I decide to serge (overlock) it.


Then pin it on the grey fabric (I deicide to put near the top of the bag, so my phone wont slide down when I carry the bag) and stitch it.

When you done, you can continue to stitch the other part of the zipper. And you will get a tube shape. Next, prepare the top and bottom part. Mum suggest to give hard fabric between the denim & grey fabric (I don't know what it's called). But it will make your fabric stay in shape (it's like the inner part of you collar). Too bad that hard fabric is not the one can stick to your fabric by ironing it. So I have to stitch it, so it wont moving around when I put it together with the tube part.


I have to stitcth the leather strap before joining the top & bottom part to the tube part. I decide to use the black leather strap. This is the hardest part, because the leather strap is thick. When you done with the strap, it's time to join the top & bottom part to the tube. Too bad I didn't take picture, but just follow the instructions from the Nigella pattern. 

You can serge the bottom and top part when you done of just leave it like that (it's inside anyway, noone can notice it ;p). You might notice that the zipper looks different, yes! It's because I change the zipper head to match with the copper accent on the black leather strap. Done! Now I have my proper yoga bag for my Manduka. Happy yoga time! Namaste. 

PS : I might reconstructing this bag, because the leather strap it's not good, I guess it will peel off soon and I might need to fix some of the stitches, rearrange the inside pocket and add the outer pockets.

Love, Ninu

0 comments:

Post a Comment